- Year 2023
- NSF Noyce Award # 1758433
- First Name Robbie
- Last Name Higdon
- Institution James Madison University
- Role/Position co-PI
- Workshop Category Track 1: Scholarships and Stipends
- Workshop Disciplines Audience Other
- Target Audience Co-PIs, Other Faculty/Staff, Project PIs
- Topics Supporting New Teachers/Induction
- Session Length 30 minutes minutes
Session participants will learn how our Noyce project has utilized professional mentors to support induction year teachers. Participants will hear from these teachers as to how their professional mentors engaged them in reflective practice regarding pedagogy, classroom management, and self-care.
The content of this workshop session is supported by literature/framework on reflective practice, interview data from scholars (pre/post induction year), and dialogue from the mentors obtained from quarterly meetings.
In this session, we will provide a rationale and supporting framework for providing professional mentors for our scholars during their first 2 years in the classroom. In addition, we will share reflections from our scholars and their mentors regarding the types of support the mentors provide as well as outcomes from mentoring session. Finally, we will share how these reflections have continued to inform our approach to assisting our induction teachers.