- Year 2023
- NSF Noyce Award # 2151839
- First Name Kathy
- Last Name Jaqua
- Institution Western Carolina University
- Role/Position Professor of Mathematics & Mathematics Education
- Workshop Category Capacity Building
- Workshop Disciplines Audience Mathematics
- Target Audience Co-PIs, Other Faculty/Staff, Project PIs
- Topics Partnerships for Success (High-need schools/informal institutions/industry/community)
- Session Length 45 minutes minutes
Participants will examine practices that can aid in: 1) Effective team building to harness internal expertise, 2) Leveraging team assets and contacts to increase regional partner buy-in, 3) Strategic use of external expertise.
Evidence of these successes come from research results based on multiple surveys and specific case studies from our capacity building grant.
Don’t know what to do with your Capacity Building Grant? Participants in this workshop will examine activities that were successful in building capacity for our program. They will hear about specific examples and guidelines that can be used or modified to fit their location and program. In particular, we will describe how our Capacity Building Grant was structured and implemented to produce positive results. We will highlight three specific areas of strength that yielded positive results: 1) Effective team building to harness internal expertise; 2) Leveraging team assets and contacts to increase regional partner buy-in; 3) Strategic use of external expertise. We will also examine some of the pitfalls that we encountered and how they might be avoided.